Sunday, January 24, 2010

When I Am Old

When I am old, I will not wear a crinkly plastic bonnet to protect my bluepink hair from the ravages of wind and rain. Rather, I will set my respectable grey curls free to whip around my wrinkled face in utter abandonment and joy!

When I am old, I will not wear stockings rolled halfway up my calf and sensible brown shoes. Rather, I will set my toes free to romp through summer grass and wriggle in sun-kissed sand in utter abandonment and joy!

When I am old, I will not carry a handbag the size of Grand Central Station filled with half-used hankies, a magnifying mirror, and banishing cream. Rather, I will tuck my driver's license, a $20 bill, and Sassy Lassy lip balm in the back pocket of my jeans and leave my hands free to pick flowers and to clap in utter abandonment and joy!

When I am old, I will not keep the window blinds closed so that just a lonely sliver of light slips through to pierce the dusty darkness. Rather, I will hang sheer lacy curtains and pretty rainbow prisms so I can revel in the warmth and colors of the sun in utter abandonment and joy!

When I am old, I will not wear noisy bracelets that clink and clank, nor oversized brooches on steroids, nor embroidered belts with big buckles. Rather, I will adorn myself with the garland of grace and the simple beauty of a quiet and gentle spirit that reflects the glory of God in utter abandonment and joy!

When I am old, I will not look back wistfully on the days and years gone by nor will I regret that my time as a mortal is coming to an end. Rather, I will excitedly and eagerly look forward to the moment when I can finally set foot on that other, eternal shore, for it is then and it is there that I will break free from the bonds which have tied me, I will cast off the burdens that have weighed me down, and I will sing and dance in the house of the Lord forever ~ in utter abandonment and joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment