Tuesday, December 7, 2010

If By A Star

If by a star I am led to thee,
to the ancient barn of birth,
bearing my bag of treasures
and a heart and soul of mirth...

If by a star I am led to thee,
to kneel upon hay and stone,
to worship thee, the cradled Christ,
at rest in your earthly throne...

If I untie my treasure trove,
reach in to grasp a gift,
shall my hand embrace a bar of gold?
What shall my hand uplift?
Should I bring forth fine frankincense
whose fragrance pleases thee,
or maybe myrrh, a mingled blend, aromatic -
or all three?

What is thy desire, little one,
what fills your heart with joy?
Could it be these costly gifts
or a rough and tumbly toy?
The only other thing I own,
sincere though it may be,
is the timid, tarnished, trembling heart
that beats inside of me.

So if by a star I am led to thee,
to the ancient barn of birth,
to kneel beside thy humble bed
to offer thee something of worth,
I shall open wide my treasure trove,
reach into its pocket deep,
surrender up my heart and soul
for the cradled Christ to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment