Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Available or Annoyed?

Every day we are given multiple opportunities to do the work of the Lord, but whether or not we actually do the work depends on whether we are available or annoyed. What we perceive as irritations, disruptions, or interruptions really are divine doors through which we can enter gladly and expectantly or kicking and screaming. It's all about mindset.

Today was a busy day of errand running for me. In the house. Out of the house. In the car. Out of the car. Just a really chopped up day in which I didn't get much of anything done on the homefront, and I definitely didn't have much time to hit the pause button and relax a little.

So when I arrived home after getting supper at the McDonald's drive-through, I was not happy to see that the cashier had forgotten to subtract the $2.00 coupon off the total bill. Some may figure it wouldn't be worth the money to drive back and see a manager about the $2.00, but I'm a principled gal, and it was the principle of the thing.

I was mildly irritated at the thought of the interruption in my already hectic day, but I proceeded anyway. Hey, two bucks is two bucks. On the short drive back to the restaurant, I made a conscious decision to let go of my irritation and to be as kind as I could be, as kind as a Christian should be, as kind as Jesus would be.

While speaking with the manager about the goof-up, I noticed the customer she had just helped and who was waiting for her order. "Don't we know each other?" I asked. Turns out she was the bakery clerk at a long-gone grocery store I used to shop at with my then toddler daughter. As we chit-chatted, memories came flooding back to both of us of our encounters at the store before it closed and she was forced to find employment elsewhere.

When her order was ready to go, she realized she had more bags and boxes than arms, so I offered to help her carry the items out to her car. She gratefully accepted. I know it was not a coincidence that I was right where I needed to be to lend someone a loving hand.

I had made the choice to let go of irritation, and God replaced it with joy. It was as if He had tapped me on the shoulder and inquired, "I have something I want you to do, but I will need to interrupt your day to do it. Will you be available? Or will you be annoyed?"

Every day we are given multiple opportunities to do the work of the Lord, but whether or not we actually do the work depends on our answer to His question.

No comments:

Post a Comment