Thursday, November 10, 2011

Homemade Applesauce

I am not an applesauce lover. I do enjoy an occasional crispy, juicy apple or a serving of hot apple crisp, but I've never evolved into an applesauce lover. Unless it's homemade. And a tad warm. And a tad tart. Then I morph into a most ardent fan! Herewith is the recipe my mother handed down, and boy howdy, it's both simple and delicious.

Ingredients:

15 or so medium-sized Granny Smith apples
1 cup of granulated white sugar
4 teaspoons of lemon juice

Directions:

*Wash and quarter all the apples and place in a large pot with 1.5 cups of water.
*Bring water to a boil.
*Cover the pot and reduce to simmer for 45 minutes or so (until all apples are soft).
*Remove from heat and stir in the sugar and lemon juice.
*Put mixture through a strainer to deal with skins and seeds.

Yield:

Approximately 15 to 16 cups of creamy, sweet-tart heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment