Friday, April 12, 2013

What Would Freud Say About This?

As I was sharing my currently-reading and recently-finished book list with a friend yesterday, it came to my attention that I seem to favor a certain theme.

Angelfall ~ main character is a teenaged girl
Prodigy ~ main character is a teenaged girl
Anne of Green Gables ~ main character is a teenaged girl
Shades of Earth ~ main character is a teenaged girl
Jane Eyre ~ main character is a teenaged girl
Partials ~ main character is a teenaged girl
Insurgent ~ main character is a teenaged girl
Outpost ~  main character is a teenaged girl
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn ~ main character is a teenaged girl
A Million Suns ~ main character is a teenaged girl
Crossed ~ main character is a teenaged girl

One might surmise from my attraction to such stories that I am also a teenaged girl. I was...once. And I still have moments when my inner teenaged girl breaks through the outer shell of responsible wifery and motherhood which is my current address. Maybe this is my version of a midlife crisis? What would Freud say about this? (And do I care?)

Lest you think I have fallen into The Pit of Books About Teenaged Girl Protaganists and can't get out, rest assured there are many other books in my reading pile that have nothing to do with this theme. Titles like The Lord of the Rings and Amish Grace and A Long Obedience in the Same Direction are also part of my diet.

If this is my version of a midlife crisis -- trying to recapture my youth and all that -- so be it. There are worse ways I could address the issue (adultery, sports cars, trips to Paris, Bingo). I think I'll stick to books (although if anyone cares to bless me anytime soon with a navy blue Ford Mustang, I could live with that).






No comments:

Post a Comment