Wednesday, January 22, 2014

One Word 2014

It's been decades since I made New Year's resolutions. I don't know why I stopped -- maybe discouragement, maybe laziness, maybe busyness, or a touch of all three. But two years ago I began a new practice that is more suited to my personality and lifestyle, and that is the choosing of One Word to be a focus for the new year. My One Word for 2014 is healing, for many reasons.

I need healing after spine surgery in December 2013. All went well in the operating room, but recovery has been a challenge. My pre-surgery pain and debilitation is significantly decreased, praise God, but for eight weeks I am in a neck brace and severely limited in what I am physically allowed to do -- no lifting, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, driving. That means My Hero, who already works a full-time job, has had to take on the responsibilities of vacuuming, laundering, washing dishes, stripping/remaking beds, cleaning the kitty litter, running errands. My heart goes out to him, especially because our standards are different, and I get irritable when things aren't done to my satisfaction. He is slowly learning to sharpen his skills, and I'm slowly learning to relax my expectations, but in the meantime, it's been difficult.

My Hero needs healing for a painful knee. At this point, we don't know what the issue is. He's deferred going to the doctor since he's so busy with work and me and the house. He does plan to seek answers come February, Lord willing.

My elderly parents need healing for a variety of ailments. Our infant granddaughter needs healing from a recent injury. My younger brother needs healing for a host of undiagnosed problems affecting his ability to function normally both physically and emotionally. My older brother and his wife need healing in their relationship with their adult daughter. The list of family members and friends needing healing of some sort does not end here, but I can't possibly name them all.

Our communities, our nation, our world all need healing. Sometimes the rampant brokenness seems overwhelming, irreparable, hopeless. There is so much hatred and hunger and hostility, how can we ever climb out of the miry pit? There is only One who can reach down and rescue us, and that is our compassionate, long-suffering God. He was and is and always will be our Jehovah Rapha, our Healer. It is to Him I turn and through Him I endure and in Him I hope. As Psalm 27:13 declares and as my heart echoes, "I would have despaired had I not believed I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living."

Jehovah Rapha, my Healer, I order my prayers to Thee and eagerly watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment