Friday, September 5, 2014

Illumination

Sometimes a Bible verse you've known for years enlightens you in a way you hadn't considered before.

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path" (Psalm 119:105) is such a verse for me.

I have often wondered why the same thought was repeated twice in one sentence. It seemed kind of redundant to me (although repetition does give emphasis). Today, though, I read and understood it in a new way (thank You, Holy Spirit!).

The first description -- "a lamp unto my feet" -- indicates how the Word illuminates and safely and wisely guides the individual steps I take as I deal with present concerns and challenges. The lamp casts a shorter beam (think of aiming a flashlight directly at your feet).

The second description -- "a light unto my path" -- indicates how the Word illuminates and safely and wisely guides the walk in front of me as I consider future concerns and challenges. The light casts a longer beam (think of aiming a flashlight directly at the path). 


I am reminded of the many times in my life when I was outdoors in the night and aiming a flashlight either at my feet (to avoid tripping over rocks or twisting my ankle in a hole) or at the broader area ahead of me (to be alerted to potential dangers such as a wild animal or a turn in the trail). I needed the light for both the present and the future.

Many of you have probably read and understood this particular scripture like this already, but for me, it is a new way of meditating on its meaning.

Just sharing my morning revelation. Over coffee, of course. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment