Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Not a Hermit Crab!


Being an introvert is not a disease or a shortcoming and does not need to be healed or fixed.

I shared with a woman at Bible study today that I'm not a real fan of attending retreats. I like the idea of them, but my inner hermit twitches at the thought of being a captive participant for 2-3 days with a large group of other human beings.

She right away said, well, then, that's all the more reason you need to attend -- so you can come out of your shell and stop being so introverted!

First of all, I am not a hermit crab. Anyone who knows me in real life can tell you I have no shell to come out of -- I'm very friendly and interested and talkative and engaged. It's just that I much prefer fellowshipping with smaller groups for shorter periods of time. Larger groups for longer periods of time wear me out, and it can take me days to recover.

I wish people would understand that being an introvert is not a negative thing that I need to work through and move past. It's just who I am and how I operate.

No comments:

Post a Comment