Saturday, December 13, 2014

Book Review: The 13th Gift




Title:  The 13th Gift
Subtitle:  A True Story of a Christmas Miracle
Author:  Joanne Huist Smith
Genre:  Personal Memoir
Publisher:  Crown Publishing, a division Random House
Number of Pages:  201
My Rating:  3 out of 5

This is a difficult review to write. First, it's the Christmas season, and I want to be especially charitable in all that I say and do, so writing a somewhat unfavorable book review goes against my grain. Second, this is my first Christmas without my precious father, who passed away in June, so I was already heavy-hearted during the time I read the story, and that may have colored my reaction. And third, I had a hard time making a connection with the author herself. It's hard to keep reading a book when you don't click with the main character.

Smith lost her beloved husband suddenly and unexpectedly shortly before Christmas one year, and his passing relocated her to an angry and depressed place, rightfully so. She wasn't sure how she'd be able to find joy again, let alone enough joy to carry her and their children through the upcoming holiday season.  Out of the blue, anonymous gift givers begin depositing presents on their doorstep inspired by the format of the carol "The Twelve Days of Christmas." At first, Smith was annoyed, but, touched by the excited reactions of her daughter, Megan, and her two sons, Ben and Nick, her heart gradually changed from annoyance to indifference to anticipation to delight over the course of those twelve days. Her newspaper reporter's heart was intrigued by the ongoing mystery and, along with her children, became the propeller that pushed her through on the days she was ready to give up on Christmas entirely.

I can't tell you what the 13th gift is because, of course, that would ruin the story for you, but I will say that it represents a transformation that took place in Smith's heart and life as she travelled the painful path she had been thrust upon. And that transformation redeemed the rest of the story for me.

Do not read this book hoping to be heart-warmed and cheered up (until the very end). This is an honest and raw tale of one widow's struggle to survive what is usually "the most wonderful time of the year." Smith is both vulnerable and courageous in bringing us along on her journey from crippling despair to fulfilling hope. And while, for me, this wasn't an enjoyable holiday book to read, Smith's message is worth the telling.



Disclaimer:  I received this book from www.bloggingforbooks.org for review.


No comments:

Post a Comment