Saturday, April 11, 2015

Always on His Mind

Have you ever noticed how once in a while, when you least expect it, the Lord surprises and delights you? When it happens, you just know it's His way of saying "I love you, and you're on my mind."

About thirty years ago or so, I read a book that was so strange and fascinating that I still remember bits and pieces of it. When this book was mentioned recently by a Twitter poster, I decided to put it on my TBR list of books to borrow from the library and read it again (after I managed to read the dozens of books ahead of it first).

Well, yesterday I decided to go to the thrift shop just to browse. I never know what little treasure I'll unearth, but I usually do end up buying a few articles of clothing for our granddaughter. The last section I peruse is the books, since it's the far side of the store, and being the methodical little creature that I am, I always start my browsing at the entry side of the store.

Just as I was about to leave the books section and head to the register to check out, a pretty cover on the bottom shelf caught my eye. Sure enough, I pulled out a hardcover copy in nearly perfect condition of the book I had read all those years ago and that I had just added to my TBR list. The book cost only $1.75, but the feeling that the Lord did this just for me was priceless.

I love how once in a while, when I least expect it, the Lord surprises and delights me. When it happens, I just know it's His way of saying, "I love you, and you're on my mind."

(In case you're interested, the book is titled "Little, Big" by John Crowley, and it won the World Fantasy Award in 1982.)

1 comment: