Sunday, April 5, 2015

Book Review: The Girl in the Road



Title:  The Girl in the Road
Author:  Monica Byrne
Genre:  Futuristic Fiction
Publisher:  Broadway Books, an imprint of Crown Publishing Group
Number of Pages:  319
My Rating:  2.5 out of 5

How do I review a book that tells a skillfully-written fascinating story but that is littered with foul language and sexual scenes that leave a bad taste in my brain?

When I chose this book to read and review, it was because I was intrigued by the tale of two women, continents and years apart, who embark on journeys of discovery that lead them toward one another in a surprising way. I found their cross-cultural experiences to be richly detailed and their struggles, both inner and outer, to be transparent and moving. The author did an excellent job of transporting me to other lands through her colorful descriptions of the sights, sounds, and scents that dwelled there.

However, I also found the liberal use of foul language and the sexual scenes a turn-off. I don't knowingly read books with this type of content, and my level of discomfort was detrimental to my enjoyment of the story.  I persevered, since the publisher had sent me this book in good faith, and I wanted to honor my commitment.

So here we are. I wish I could give a glowing review (and certainly many other readers have done so), but I can't. I can only give an honest review and hope that it helps others to make an informed decision.

Disclaimer:  I received this book from www.bloggingforbooks.org for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment