Friday, May 15, 2015

Just Because

Whether a newlywed, an oldywed, or someone in between, every Mr. and Mrs. yearns to be reminded of his or her spouse's love on a regular basis. It is nourishment for the soul as essential as food and water for the body.  No matter how busy one is or how disconnected one feels, making the time to remind each other of our love blesses both the giver and the receiver.

To that end, my husband and I have begun a new tradition we call the "Just Because I Love You Bag."  It sprang from a serendipitous purchase I made the other day and that I put inside a small, heart-covered gift bag and presented to him after dinner that night.

"What's this?" he asked, with a goofy grin.

"Just a little something for you, because I love you, that's all."

He was like a kid at Christmas with his eyes all a-sparkle.

"Should I open it now, or wait?"

"Now would be good," I told him. I was just as excited as he was and didn't want to delay.

What I gave him shall remain a secret between the two of us, but it was something I knew would warm his heart and make him happy. It did, and he was.

It was so much fun, we decided to keep the idea going. The small, heart-covered gift bag is now in his possession, waiting to be filled with some token of his love for me at a time of his choosing. When and what will be a sweet surprise. Then, after he has reminded me of his love for me via the gift bag, the bag will be back in my possession, and I will fill it for him again, and so on, back and forth and back and forth, until death do us part.

Whether a newlywed, an oldywed, or someone in between, be intentional about reminding your spouse that you love him or her...just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment