Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Forgiveness = Freedom

The older I get the more I understand the freedom that comes from forgiveness. The older I get the less willing I am to carry the burden of unforgiveness, the less willing I am to let the poison of unforgiveness destroy my heart.

I see unforgiveness in the lives of some people and how it imprisons them, drags them down, sucks the life out of them. I wish I could just take them by the shoulders and somehow convey to them that forgiveness doesn't say that what was said or done is okay; forgiveness says that what was said or done is not okay, but by letting go of the pain and the hurt, *I'm* okay. I long to unclip their wings, unlock the cage, and set them free.

When I think of all that I have said and done in my life that required another to forgive me, I am humbled. When I think of all that Christ suffered to pay the price for my sins and to set me free, I am grateful. To be washed clean, to be loved, to be welcomed, to flap my wings and fly -- I cannot put it into words.

I pray that God gives each one of us the desire and the strength and the ability to offer the gift of forgiveness this Christmas season.

"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." (Ephesians 4:32)

No comments:

Post a Comment