Thursday, July 21, 2016

Book Review: Taste and See


Title:  Taste and See
Subtitle:  Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life
Author:  John Piper
Genre:  Christian Devotional
Publisher:  Multnomah, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC
Number of Pages:  390
My Rating:  4.5 out of 5

I am always excited to read a new-to-me devotional book because on days when I don't have time for longer reading, the bite-sized portions are perfect. However, not all devotionals are created equal. Some are milk; some are meat. These meditations by John Piper definitely fall in the meat category.

John Piper is a well-known theologian and author who is not afraid to talk about issues that could be considered controversial, but praise the Lord for that. In this book of 125 short chapters, each dealing with a topic that is maybe not so nice and neat, he has the courage to present his Biblical worldview clearly and compassionately. I may not always agree with everything he says, but I love that Piper doesn't shy away from the tougher stuff and that he makes me think. I have to chew and digest my way through his mediations, so even though they are short, they are packed.

Taste and See touches on many topics ranging from omnipotence to love to retirement, sin, evil, righteousness, adoption, eternity, prayer, mental health, joy, discipline, salvation -- the list goes on and on. It covers the gamut from Biblical theology to contemporary issues facing the Christian (and the world) today. You will not be bored, period. Especially helpful are the indices in the back of the book for quick subject and scriptural referencing.

Piper states that what he has "written here is partly meditations on Biblical reality and partly applications to contemporary life" and that he "hopes that what pervades all the readings is a savoring of the supremacy of God." And I feel he has done what he set out to do.

And a shout-out regarding his poem of dedication to his daughter -- it is absolutely delightful and not to be skipped over.



Disclaimer:  I received this book from www.bloggingforbooks.com for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment