Thursday, September 8, 2016

Book Review: Dark Matter


Title:  Dark Matter
Author:  Blake Crouch
Genre:  Science Fiction/Thriller
Publisher:  Crown, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC
Number of Pages:  340
My Rating:  4 out of 5

Ever hear of Wayward Pines? It's that creepy enclave in a shattered post-apocalyptic Earth that kept me glued to my couch every week it aired on television. I loved seasons one and two and sure do hope there's a season three on the horizon. That said, when I tried to read Blake Crouch's books that the show was based upon, I gave up after about 50 pages out of sheer boredom. I felt the writing lacked enough luster for me to keep going with it. I was disappointed.

So when the opportunity arose for me to try another Blake Crouch book -- Dark Matter -- I was intrigued enough by the storyline to lay aside my hesitancy, and I am so glad I gave him another go. This book kept me glued and riveted and questioning and pulling my hair out from the first page to the last. Aside from the author's fondness for the F-bomb (the book would have been just as great without it), Dark Matter will pull you in and hold you in suspense until the very end.

The main character, Jason, is an immediately likable fellow, and his separation from and search for his wife and son will touch your heart. Their are baddies galore who will stop at nothing to keep a reunion from happening, and his journey through, not time, but parallel space is exciting and rife with twists and turns. I appreciate that the science behind the whole parallel universes theory is presented in a way that is not overwhelming and confusing. Crouch did a good job of spreading said explanations throughout the book and in a manner that even a layman could (mostly) understand.

Given the success of the Wayward Pines franchise, I hope Dark Matter is also made into a movie for the big screen. Visually, it would be stunning. And the audience would be on the edge of their seats the entire time.



Disclaimer:  I received this book from www.bloggingforbooks.com for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment